Monday, January 26, 2009

UNLV hoops


My Christmas present this year from Christina was season tickets to Rebel home games. Although the season tickets are in the nose bleed section, I am very grateful. Fortunately, I have family that has season tickets very close to the floor and often times they don't use the seats so I get to sit close to the bench on numerous occasions. (We also just sneak down a lot). It is too hard sitting up in the nosebleed section, the game is just different downstairs, so near the players. You can hear their conversations, hear the coaches yelling, actually see the play about to occur. Plus, it's louder!

I've been a Rebel basketball fan since infancy. I was in 6th grade when UNLV won its national championship, and was hooked the first time I attended a UNLV game in 4th grade with Uncle Wade. There was nothing like going and seeing Armon "Hammer" Gilliam, "Fearless" Freddie Banks, Mark Wade, et al. Then on to Larry Johnson, Greg Anthony, Stacey Augmon, et al. I still wonder why my beloved Rebels agreed to receive money to lose to Duke in the Final Four my 7th grade year. This is by far more egregious than Brasil receiving money from Nike to lose to France in the 1998 World Cup to assist in France's political uprising. This is all true, look it up!

For about 10 years UNLV hoops sucked. Every now and again UNLV was competitive, but not like the old days. The NCAA head hunted Tarkanian, our beloved coach, and basically sent UNLV into the toilet with their witch hunt and sanctions. Tarkanian sued the NCAA and won $2 million in damages, but this didn't help our UNLV hoops get back to prominence.

Recently, Coach Kruger has rescussitated the program. 3 NCAA tourney wins in 2 years and the buzz is back at the Mack. Stellar recruiting and great coaching have the Rebels in the tourney every year.

Saturday I was able to receive some 7th row tickets from family members (again). Oh the excitement of walking in the North Tunnel to enter the game. Walking on the court to get to our seats, and seeing the players sweat during warm ups. I can even smell the water boy as he nervously prepares water for the players after warm ups. Okay, not really....but you can definitely feel the BUZZ. You get to assess both team's players. 7'2" players look 7'2", not 4 inches tall like upstairs.

Anyway, a HUGE dream of mine almost occurred on Saturday. Right after halftime a UNLV stadium staff member approached me and my friend. THIS WAS IT! I was about to live my lifelong dream of participating in the "Shootout" as I like to call it. Essentially you have to make a layup, free-throw, 3 pointer, and half court shot all in 30 seconds to win season tickets for next season. (Times are tough, last year it was a car).

It all occurred in slow motion. I knew he was approaching us, knew we were going to be celstialized into the Shootout hall of fame! I was so nervous, but already going through my pre-shootout routine as the staff guy approached. "Hey guys," he said. "Any interest in partipating....." "YES!!!!!!!!," I screamed! Then, only to be let down, dropped, beaten, scarred, and crucified he finished his sentence, "participating in the Chevron Challenge?" All my hopes and dreams dissapeared at that moment. Didn't he realize how many times I have practiced the Shootout at the church? How many times I won the darn thing from the South Stake Center located here in the valley? I'd never felt this bad, not even when I was dumped by my first girlfriend in 5th grade, Lyndsay Weston.

Needless to say my friend, Dan, and my cousin Chase, and I agreed to the contest. We got to appear on the big screen above the court, cheering for our car color to win. I lost. My heart just wasn't in it after the deflating blow from the staff member. Dan won a $50 gift card to Chevron for gas. My dream died a little. How many times will I get this opportunity to be on the floor for a promotion? Probably just this once. So close, yet so far away.

The good thing was the Rebels beat an overrated BYU (again) team on Wednesday, and a way overrated Utah team again on Saturday. This eased my pain....a little.

Christina says next year our seats will be downstairs so we can pridefully walk through the North Tunnel like all of the other North Tunnelers (people with tickets close to the floor). This also eased my pain a little. I can't take sitting upstairs again. Can't take the uneducated fans that yell at the coach, ref, and players on every possession. People downstairs just know more. I need seats close to the court again, I need the Shootout!

Go Rebels. I love you...

38 comments:

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve said...

Two words, one name:

Sarah Cummard.

Enough said....

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dixon Leavitt said...

I swear BYU fans search for places to complain. Thats why message boards were created, so all homers can complain about refs, players and constantly deny that their team is one dimensional...or their coach might not be as good as they think. Here you go andrew. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=338

steve said...

At least it took Sarah Cummard beating people in the head to get her thrown out of the Mack. Darger's mom got censured by the staff for "cheering too loud" at that gym where BYU plays, whatever it is called. All the while Tavernari says the F word every 30 seconds. It's true, look it up...

Anonymous said...

Andrew andrew andrew... if your comments are true than you have no good reason to bag on the Rebs unless you went to UNR. Which, thankfully, you didn't, or we might have to disown you. I think maybe you're still bitter that whole "quest" thing didn't quite work out :)

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve said...

geez andrew, get your own blog. o wait, that already failed....miserably. i've got no problems with you enjoying the cougs. i clearly called the cougs overrated because that's what they were. a 12-0 team or whatever with their best win being a "loss" to wake forest. it happens every year. byu gets all hyped up about how good they are in football or basketball, only to never win a big game. See 1-15 in their last 16 games against top 25 teams. i can't recall the last time byu won in basketball, a game that mattered. they haven't won an ncaa tourney game, and yes, those are really the only ones that matter, since 91? so yes, i think i am justified in calling the cougs overrated. as always. until i see other evidence, i'll continue to say it. hard not to consider them overrated when i am annoyingly bogged down by cougar conversations every sunday in the hallways, elders quorum and even during the Sacrament about how wonderful our self righteous selves are in sports and in life. but, pssst, sister jones drinks coke! OMGOSH! give me a break

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve said...

why would i want guys talking to me at a party? that is literally gay. no thanks, you can keep your homo-tendencies to yourself...and your school

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin Camp said...

you. are. all. nuts.

sarah said...

REBELS REBELS REBELS... uncle andrew i'm sorry to break it to ya no one likes byu but you so get over it please:]

Keith A. Runyon said...

BYU fans ARE self-righteous which is WHY we dislike them so much.

As for sports in general, the coogs are wannabe's. They hover around the top 25 in football, and get a few votes every now and then for basketball, but even if they make it to the big dance, they NEVER win. They should aim for the NIT - it's a tournament that they could even possibly win.

Frankly, I have grown weary of BYU fans being so sensitive AND self-righteous. It's evident by Andrew's need to always defend the school. If the teams the school put out were truly any good, he wouldn't need to defend them so much.

Q.E.D.

sarah said...

Mark said this to Andrew:
I agree UNLV is playing way above their heads. However the Zoo is a mess. Did you watch the UNLV game, not to mention San Diego State? Your white boys could not sit the bench for Duke or any other team in the top 10. [PS Duke will not get past the sweet 16 again.] Oh and no offense or racism implied here, but their minority players couldn't start for Provo High. They need to go back to recruiting the Indian reservations for a better class of minority athlete. Rose is simply a loser and no comparison or left handed statistic will prove otherwise. If he could coach they would win in the post season. The post season is about 3 things. Coaching, point guards, and making adjustments. Rose has none of these. Period. However, it is not just the basketball program. The school lacks leadership from the top down where athletics are concerned. Mark my words. The MWC will probably get a permanent bid with the BCS within the next two years, but the ZOO will not win a single game under the BCS Bowl mess. The same problem exists in football as exists in basketball. Coaching first, 3rd level athletes backing up 2nd level athletes second. You BYZoobies need to realize that if, and it is a big if, the ZOO simply began to win the big games everyone would jump on board, except the Utard fans of course. Nothing would make us happier. The reality is it doesn't look good looking forward. Go Rebels or even New Mexico.

and this too:

latest coaches poll;
Utah state 27 byu 37, unlv 39. my goodness

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said...

Am I going to have to live this BYU debate the rest of my life?

Dumb question...Yes, I am a Dixon now.:)

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Wow Andrew I am dissapointed in the way you reacted to the comment above from Sarah. Very tacky!

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve said...

this is almost better than the obama argument we had earlier!

Heidi said...

Silence!

steve said...

i think we finally broke his spirit. just be a rebel andrew, it's more difficult, but worth it. just like the gospel...

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve said...

andrew, if you were on top gun your code name would be "cougar." he got to the show, and couldn't take the heat. my code name would be "captain hook." for undisclosed reasons

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah said...

just so you know andrew, i'm never joking about not liking byu nor am i ever joking about never going there... they're all true facts sorry to break it to ya!

Heidi said...

It's amazing to me how this subject continually brings out such strong emotions in this family. I will be glad once April comes around and there is no football, no basketball and I will get a reprieve from all this BYU/UNLV crap for a couple of months and you guys can head to the mountains and spend hours on the lake fishing in your boat in peace, love and harmony.

And my big question is, what ever attracted Sarah Cummard to her husband Lee? That dude is so butt ugly....

steve said...

jersey chaser

Janae' said...

Just checking in from Mexico.... Wow, you guys sure kept the debate going.

Andrew, Utah is nationally ranked in skiing, gymnastics and has the #1 football team in the country (arguably/mystical/etc...) BYU? Not so much. UNLV? You're right, laughable. Not even in the debate.
Unless of course we bring back Jerry Tarkanian.

80 and sunny here

Janae' said...

Let's not get janae involved...Keith is just using her laptop

Heidi said...

LOL. We love Janae and Keith.

The U is the greatest university in Salt Lake County. I admit it.

Andrew

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

Shhhh....

Alec and Tiffany said...

Just noticed the comments...I'm trying to read between the lines though because half of the comments have been deleted. That top gun comment was pretty good... Steve, I could take you in the shooting challenge any day. Just kidding!

ACR

steve said...

next time you are down Alec, it is ONNNNN. we need to get your dad out of his excuses for not going golfing too!

Heidi said...

They were not deleted! WHAT????

Heidi said...

They were not deleted! WHAT????

Maribeth Miller said...

Yea, get season tickets close to the floor so that when you don't use them Nathan and I can:) Do you want Guchi or Front? Ha just a little term I remember from my unlv dancin days. I feel your pain about rootin for a lossing team. That's why I alway felt sorry for the Clark cheerleaders!