Monday, January 28, 2008

Guys Weekend



I was extremely surprised that Christina did not post her incident about this weekend concerning her up close and personal encounter with Brad Paisley. Since i just spent the last 4 hours of my life drafting a Lease Agreement for a horse stable near Red Rock, i decided it was my turn to post. I entitle my post "guys weekend" for 2 reasons. First, Kayden and I spent the weekend together, alone because of Christina's incident with Brad Paisley, and second, because in March i am going for 4 days to Houston to see one of my best friends, Jared Call.

I love spending time with Kayden. Yeah, changing diapers and feeding the kid can be a hastle, but taking care of someone you love so much is only rewarding. Saturday morning we went to visit Carrie who is watching Erin and Kevin's kids again while Erin is still suffering from her surgeries. Once done, i knew we had to hustle to walmart because the UNLV game at San Diego State started at 1pm. For once the game was on tv. The Mountain West is retarded in that it has a very tiny contract to show Mountain West games with a network called "The Mountain." Problem is, if you don't subscribe to cable, you can't get the Mtn. network. Since the overwhelming majority of games are shown on the mtn i am out of luck mostly. However, Saturday's game was on Versus. Great game, Kayden slept while I watched the Rebels get a great road victory against a team that some think is the best in the league this year.

Prior to the game was Walmart with Kayden. I love going to Walmart with Kayden, or any other store for that matter because he just likes to look around. Saturday, he sat on the handle of the shopping cart, facing forward. I leaned over and we pretended we were racing the cart. I would go, "Vrooooom," and he would go, "Vroooooom..." It was awesome. Kayden woke up from his nap around 4 and we ate dinner, played with his cars, played with his Mr. Potato head, played his favorite game of hide and seek, which consists of me chasing him and he sometimes hiding.

Second guys weekend comes in March when I fly to Houston to see Jared. Jared and I are planning on playing 36 holes on Friday and at least 18 on Saturday. Couple that with the fact that this will be the same weekend as the first weekend of the NCAA tourney and I am in heaven. Christina would like to come, but she has to work as it is tax season. O well. Hopefully Kelsey won't be too upset that she won't see much of Jared. It will be good to just hang out. We have found it hard to find friends here to do much with in Vegas. We have good friends in Houston, Omaha, and Idaho. We see them every year or so, especially Rick and Lyndsay in Idaho 2 or 3 times a year when we meet in SLC for golf, shopping and dinner.

The problem with finding friends here in Vegas it seems is that very few of us have much in common. I am way into sports. I like to golf. It is rare to find someone that enjoys golfing and/or sports like I do. I understand the problem is getting away from family and kids, I feel the same way. But in the summers you can play til 9 at night. Very frustrating, especially when the wives go shopping for 3 or 4 hours but won't let Husbands go out to a game or golfing. Some say I should broaden my horizons, but no offense, I don't really want to go to dinner with someone and talk computers or work, or business, or the stock market or heaven forbid, BYU.

A speaker in church yesterday spoke about how BYU is almost considered a gospel topic. Uhhhhh.......I have such a problem with the whole BYU thing. No, it isn't cause i am jealous of people who went to BYU (cause i was admitted out of high school, i just chose not to go), and it isn't because BYU people have no personality. I am great friends with my uncle Andrew, who attended BYU. We like to joke and push one another regarding BYU, but for the most part, I have struggled being friends with a person that attended BYU. In law school, I couldn't stand to be around the BYU people because there wasn't much there, to be honest with you. Don't get me wrong, because the majority of people don't fit into this mold, but my experience with BYU people on a whole has never been that satisfying. For example, at stake conference in Omaha, we were conferenced in from Salt Lake by some of the brethren. One of the brethren's wives said the following in her talk, "I am so proud of all my children. They all graduated seminary, all went on missions, all got married in the temple, and all went to BYU." When she said it, Christina and I kind of looked at each other like, who the He** cares! Congratulations that you went on missions, graduated seminary (I guess) and it is awesome you got married in the temple, but what does BYU have to do with eternal salvation? Additionally, when Christina and I moved back to Vegas, a girl from SLC and her husband who played hoops at BYU gave their talks on how Vegas is sin city, how they can't wait to move back to SLC, and how hard it is to live here. I always laugh at the BYU people who move here for their first job. Guaranteed the majority of them are gone within the first year cause they miss their families and the bubble back in Utah.

Recently, a friend of mine's wife said that she cannot understand why people who are LDS but didn't go to BYU don't cheer for BYU? First, what reason do I have to cheer for BYU? Did I attend the school? No. Are there any sports players that I like to follow? Not really (except for in my youth when Ty Detmer was there). I was born and raised in Vegas and was an avid UNLV hoops fan in my youth. Why would I cheer for a team located in Provo, Utah that I have no affiliation with whatsoever? An LDS person cheering for BYU simply because they are LDS is like saying that every black person will vote for Obama because he is black. There are thousands of schools around the country that have institutes of religion for the LDS kids where they get the same experience and exposure to the gospel as BYU people do. The best part about not being at BYU is you get the LDS experience without Satan's Plan, the Honor Code. To say that BYU is the Lord's School is false doctrine in my opinion. Every school where a member of the Church attends is considered the Lord's School because that member of the Church should be an example to the rest of the world about the Church's teachings.

Ok, so I am done ranting. Can't wait for another guys weekend.

Steve

13 comments:

Heidi said...

The only thing I have to say is: you only spent 4 hours on a lease????

steve said...

it isn't done yet. thanks for the general BYU person's comment!

Heidi said...

No, here's the general BYU guy's comment: "Had you gone to BYU, you would have had the inspiration to complete it in 2 hours and been able to bill 6 for it." Your commenting on how a BYU guy responds is like a non-mormon asking a Budhist what mormons believe. My next post: ISU co-eds.

steve said...

no, my next post, Pocatelloans that attended Edahow and Poky or Highland...

Heidi said...

Isn't that everybody?

Tiffani said...

That was an awesome rant! You got a good one Christina!

Heidi said...

Oh you guys and your ranting - will it ever end? I did enjoy your post though Stephen and agree with you on the Utah/BYU people that move to Vegas - I was just thinking of this the other day. In our ward, almost all the Utah move ins eventually move back North.

Also, I want to hear about this run in with Brad Paisley. And where is your 6 Habits post? And I like the 'Guys Weekend' idea. Dear nephew Stephen, is there anyway you can convince your Uncle Andrew to have a guys weekend so I can run off for a few days alone? We all know he's had plenty of weekends alone away from me!!

Christina said...

I thought I was reading Keith's blog for a while there.

Heidi-we are working on our habits. It will take a few days to think about, and probably some fights if we talk to each other about it. :)

Just to clarify, I am NOT one of the wives who Steve is referring to about shopping. I always "let" (well actually, he would go even if I didn't let him)him go golfing, and he usually has to beg me to go on a shopping spree for myself. When Steve asks other guys if they want to go golfing they always say no because their wives won't let them, and those are the shopping spree wives he is referring to.

Candace said...

I used to think badly of BYU when I was in high school, and sad to say even a few years after. I will admit now that it is totally wrong to stereotype people who have gone to BYU. There are many people who are great and smart. It may not be The Lord's school, BUT it is great they are trying to have people hold high standards. You of course have crazy, different people anywhere. I won't say I am a sports fan of BYU, because I am not. But I do respect those who go there.

steve said...

Candace, it wasn't meant as a stereotype. Just my experience with BYU people as a whole. Obviously the majority of them are sane, I am sure. To be honest, I really could care less. Hope you aren't offended, it wasn't intended as that.

Candace said...

Oh Steve. I was not offended. Sorry if my comment sounded defensive. Just my thoughts. I just thought I would add to your comment count =)

Katie Mills said...

Amen. Nate and I are not BYU fans either. Maybe you should hang out with Nate sometime, he loves to golf, but has no one to go with, and he loves UNLV sports!

Lynds said...

Steve, you sound just like Todd, and he even went there. i dont know how I came across your family's blog, but I have enjoyed reading up on your family. Do you know what Lara calls Todd? Brad Paisley. Apparently Lara thinks they look alike. Jared Call?? I have not seen him since before his mission. Tell him hi for me.