Tuesday, August 19, 2008

America

With the elections coming up, and the olympics ongoing, I was thinking about a conversation I had with a former teammate of mine in juco out in Colorado. This guy came from poverty in Michigan, and was gaining a free education through basketball. One time during the national anthem he and another teammate refused to salute the flag during the anthem. I could hear them say, "this ain't my country, never done anything for me." I think they were referring to a rap song that had just come out.....great.....

anyway, after 2 years in Brasil I returned to the same juco for a semester and was told by yet another teammate that I have more opportunity than a lot of other people on the team. While this may be true to an extent, it was probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard. The point is, we can do whatever we want, and become whoever we want in this Country.

Sometimes i wish i could meet the men who founded our country. i enjoy reading historical books on the founding fathers and our country. screw you, we aren't being subjected to tyranny, or taxation, or any of your other crap anymore. we want to be free! how's that for courage and conviction. i hope i never forget it...

i love the following. how often can you hear a pin drop when the national anthem is being performed...awesome


6 comments:

Ryan said...

Great Video! And good post. I just don't understand the whole "poor me - I can't do what I want because it isn't handed to me by the government" mentality. This is the greatest country in the world. I whole-heartedly believe that if you set goals for yourself and work hard to achieve them, then you can do anything.

steve said...

apparently only me and Ryan like the national anthem

Anonymous said...

so your new boys name... how do you pronounce it? like the number 7? or like steven without the t?

Ryan said...

I guess so.

steve said...

FYI, there will be no more anonymous comments left on this blog. Stop deleting comments, and, this blog is about to go private. I don't need anonymous stalkers of my children out there. You will be shown no mercy...I'm dead serious

steve said...

just changed my mind. this blog just went private. if you would like to ever see this blog again shoot me or my wife and email...if not, i don't care either.